INTRODUCTION OF PESEWA SUSU
Pesewa Susu is a 2-IN-1 savings account on the MTN Mobile Money Platform *170#. The product is a partnership between Republic Bank and MTN Ghana.
The Pesewa Susu Account consist of the following:
- Pesewas Savings: Mobile Money customers who register for this saving account will have the pesewas in their mobile money wallet at the end of day swept (moved) into the Pesewa Savings account. The movement of the pesewas is an automated process and will be carried out on daily basis including weekends and public holidays.
- SUSU: Mobile Money customers who subscribe to SUSU will be required to specify the Susu amount to be swept (moved) automatically from their mobile money wallet into their Susu Account on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
E-Levy does not apply to Pesewa Susu, since the MTN MoMo Wallet and Pesewa Susu Account belong to the same person.
The Electronic Transfer Levy Act, 2022 (Act 1075) states in:
The Levy imposed under Section 1 does not apply to:
(b) a transfer between accounts owned by the same person.
When you transfer funds or move money from your MTN MoMo to your Pesewa Susu Account, you will not be charged e-levy. Futhermore, when you withdraw from your Pesewa Susu Account and your MTN MoMo is credited, you will not be charged e-levy.
PESEWA SUSU TERMS & CONDITIONS
By accepting the Terms and Conditions of Pesewa Susu, the customer agrees to the following:
- Pesewa Susu is a 2-in-1 product made up of Pesewa Savings and SUSU.
- Pesewa Savings Account will be open for the customer at registration. The Pesewas in the customer’s MTN Mobile Money Wallet will be automatically swept (moved) into your Pesewa Savings Account once a day including weekends and holidays.
- A Customer with Pesewa Savings can add SUSU at any time to his Account to grow his savings by stating the amount to save daily, weekly, or monthly.
- The specified SUSU amount will be automatically swept (moved) from the customer’s MTN MoMo Wallet into his SUSU Account on the frequency selected by the customer, that is, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
- The applicant consent to MTN sharing his personal information with authorized parties for regulatory and commercial purposes. Pesewa Susu is a collaboration between MTN and Republic Bank.
- The applicant consent to receiving SMS on selected Pesewa Susu transactions.
- Interest Rate is variable and the prevailing rate will be displayed during registration. At product launch, the Interest Rate will be 6% per annum. This is 50% more than the 4% interest on Mobile Money wallet.
- Pesewa Susu Customers will be notified by SMS when the Interest Rate changes.
- Interest on the Pesewa Susu Account will be calculated on daily basis but paid quarterly (every three months).
- Interest Payment: Interest due to subscribers will be credited (paid) to the respective Pesewa Susu account one (1) week after the end of the quarter. In the event of a technical challenge, the interest payment will not delay more than a week.
- There is absolutely no service charge or fee when you deposit or withdraw from your Pesewa Susu account.
- Withdrawal: Pesewa Susu is a savings account and therefore we encourage subscribers to save for the long-term just as little drops of water makes a mighty ocean. However, subscribers can withdraw money from their Pesewa Susu Account anytime.
- Withdrawal made on Pesewa Susu Account will be credited to the subscriber’s MTN Mobile Money Wallet only.
- Settlement into a customer’s Pesewa Susu Account will be completed the next business day (T+1) and start earning interest after settlement. Deposits made on weekends and public holidays will be settled the next business day.
PESEWA SUSU FREQUENTLY ASK QUESTIONS (FAQS)
Pesewa Susu is a 2-IN-1 savings product that consists of the following:
- Pesewas Savings: the pesewas in a subscriber’s MTN mobile money wallet at the end of the day is swept (moved) into his Pesewa Savings Account. The movement of the pesewas is an automated process and will be carried out on daily basis including weekends and public holidays.
- SUSU: a subscriber specifies the amount to be swept (moved) from his mobile money wallet into Susu on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
All MTN Mobile Money subscribers are eligible to apply for Pesewa Susu.
On MTN *170#, select (5) Financial Services, then (2) Savings, and then (3) Pesewa Susu to register.
No, there is no minimum balance required to open a Pesewa Susu Account.
The Interest Rate on Pesewa Susu is currently 6% per annum (variable). This is 50% more interest than the 4% customers earn on their mobile money wallet.
The Interest will be paid on quarterly basis (every three months) in April, July, October and January.
Yes, you can start Susu for your children, house-help/maid, and other dependants anytime.
Select (6) “Update” on the Pesewa Susu Menu and then select (3) “Do Susu for Dependants”.
Yes, you can change your Susu contributions anytime.
Select (6) “Update” on the Pesewa Susu Menu and then select (1) “Change Susu Amount and Frequency”.
Yes, you can make One-time Payment into your Susu Account occasionally.
Select (6) “Update” on the Pesewa Susu Menu and then select (2) “One-time Savings”.
Select (2) “Check Balance” on the Pesewa Susu Menu and follow the prompt.
Select (3) “Statements” on the Pesewa Susu Menu and follow the prompt.
Select (4) “Withdrawal” on the Pesewa Susu Menu and follow the prompt.
A Customer can withdraw from his Pesewa Savings Account or Susu Account or from any Dependant Susu Account. The withdrawal amount will be credited (paid into) the customer’s MTN Mobile Money Wallet.
Yes, you can stop it anytime.
A Customer can stop the automatic sweep/movement of from his MTN MoMo Wallet into his Pesewa Savings, Susu, or any of the Dependant Susu Accounts.
Just select (5) “Stop Savings” and the Account you want to stop the automatic sweep on.
No, Pesewa Susu has no account fees.
Pesewa Susu is a savings account and therefore we encourage customers to save for the long-term just as little drops of water makes a mighty ocean. However, subscribers can withdraw money from their Pesewa Susu Account anytime.