This page contains commonly-asked questions about Republic Bank, it’s products and services.
– Customers can make advance payments on their mortgage accounts or reduce their principal amounts with large payments.
– There are no penalties for early repayment of mortgages under the scheme.
– Customers who wish to pay off their mortgage loan shall contact Republic Bank in writing so that discharge procedures can be started on their behalf.
Beneficiaries may choose between Conventional Reducing Balance loan and the Flexible Mortgages:
Standard Conventional Rate Reducing Balance Mortgages
The monthly repayment consists of two elements—interest being the cost of borrowing and capital or principal being the amount borrowed. 40% of the borrower’s net income will be used as repayment. Initially a greater portion of the repayment goes to service the interest charges and the remaining amount is applied to the principal amount. With time this trend is reversed when much of the interest would have been paid hence the principal amount is therefore serviced with the greater portion of subsequent repayment installments until the loan is fully amortised to zero at the end of the expected term.
Flexible (Flex) Repayment Method
The Flex allows middle-to-low income earners to access mortgage loans amounts which they would not normally qualify for under conventional loan terms. It allows the borrower to pay lower monthly loan installments using 30% of his/her net income to service the loan granted at the onset of the loan. It however requires annual increments in installments until loan is fully amortised and when wages begin to rise borrowers on FLEX are expected to accelerate their monthly repayments to cover both interest and principal.
Repaying the Mortgage
All repayments must reach Republic Bank by the 25th day of the month so that customer’s account can be credited to avoid arrears.
–The maximum term of the Loan shall be 20 years or up to the beneficiary’s retiring age whichever is lower.
– Processing fee is 0.5% on the approved loan amount for every loan applicant.
– Statutory deposit towards settlement of stamp duties and registration of legal documents is between 1% to 3.5% of loan amount. This must be paid after loan approval.
– Beneficiaries will be expected to maintain a suitable and sufficient hazard insurance (of 0.18% of the loan amount) and mortgage protection insurance determined by the insurance company) with Republic Bank approved insurance companies. This must be paid after loan approval.
– Republic Bank will renew insurance premiums each year for borrowers and borrowers accounts will be charged for the cost of the renewal.
– Applicants who do not qualify for 100% mortgage loan will be expected to make up for the difference in the cost of the property.
– The maximum loan amounts shall not be more than GHC25, 000. Beneficiaries could be offered up to 100% loans subject to their ability to pay.
– Republic may lend at commercial rates on amounts greater than GHC25, 000 but beneficiaries will be expected to make up the difference as a condition for the disbursement of the loan.
The interest rate is based on the preceding 3-month moving average of the 91-day T-Bill rate Plus a minimum of 1% subject to a floor of 10% and a Cap on the rate of 15%.
– The location of the property must have basic infrastructure including access to roads, water, electricity and drainage.
– The property shall be 40 kilometers radius within Accra/Tema, Kumasi, Sekondi/Takoradi or any of the regional capitals and any economically viable area approved by Republic Bank.
– All the 10,000 housing units being built for Public Servants under the auspices of the Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing.
– Loans could be taken for the purchase of completed homes such as Republic Bank’s Home Purchase Product or for Incremental Mortgages such as the BUY, BUILD & Own a Home Product.
– Groups that have their own land and wish to incrementally develop properties.
– Construction of houses using incremental mortgage will have to be done strictly according to approved house designs. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of the contract by Republic Bank.
– Borrowers can use this facility once in their lifetime.
– Submission of signed facility letter (including acceptance of our terms and conditions).
– Statutory deposit towards settlement of stamp duties and registration of legal documents.
– Mortgage Protection or Life Policy (to cover loan amount granted).
– Fire Insurance Policy (to cover the value of the property).
– Signing of mortgage deed.
– Completed Application form.
– Offer Letter from a Real Estate Developer or a vendor.
– Personal Reference Form.
– Proof of Relationship in the case of joint application (such as a marriage certificate)
– Confirmation or Certification of Employment Letter/form from your employers stating your salary AND the Latest (3) salary slips/salary certificate/pay stubs showing all deductions.
– Borrower’s salary must pass through Republic Bank. Where it is not possible because Republic Bank may not be easily accessible by borrower, then the repayment must be deducted from source by the borrower’s employers or the Accountant Generals’ department or any institution nominated by Republic Bank and sent to Republic Bank.
– Copy of Title Deed /Land Title Certificate and must include 7 copies of site plan.
– Upon the beneficiaries’ resignation or cessation of employment with GOG the interest rate on the mortgage loan shall be revised in accordance with the prevailing Republic market rates.
Applicants can send their application letters with their current resume addressed to the HR Department of Republic Bank or call us on 0244 340 616-9 or 0302 242 090-4 for further information.
– All current public sector employees who have been in employment for a minimum of 5 years.
– The applicant must not have reached the general mandatory retiring age of 60 or 65 in the case of judges of the High Court and 70 years for judges in the Appeals and Supreme Courts.
– For applicants who have 5 years or less to retirement, Republic Bank will lend to such applicants provided GOG agrees to pay the outstanding loan amount due, out of the borrowers total lump sum entitlements when the borrower is about to go on pension or when the loan matures whichever comes earlier.
– Joint applications will be accepted in the form of husband and wife or parent and child.